Free Domestic Economy Shipping Above $100 - Premium Shipping when you spend $250 or More
FIELD NOTES 17TH QUARTERLY EDITION
FNC-17 marks the start of the fifth year of our Quarterly Editions. In that time, they’ve explored a wide variety of papers, colors, and printing techniques, but with this new Expedition edition, for the first time, they’ve actually expanded the type of paper used in their notebooks.
Aesthetically, you’ll find an all-new design with plenty to like: a hi-visibility “Antarctic Survey Orange” front cover and “Polar Night Black” back cover, with a subtle varnish effect featuring a topographic map of Antarctica. The body pages feature our popular dot-graph paper printed in light gray.
But the real innovation here is the paper. It’s maybe not even fair to call it paper. The whole book is printed on Yupo Synthetic paper, an amazing tearproof and waterproof paper extruded from polypropylene pellets in Chesapeake, Virginia. They could go on and on about our new notebooks’ durability and incredible properties (especially in concert with the new Space Pen, FN-19), and they will, in this series of 12 (reasonably) scientific tests:
TEST 1: WATERPROOF
TEST 2: VISIBILITY
TEST 3: WIND RESISTANCE
TEST 4: BALLISTICS
TEST 5: VACUUM
TEST 6: TENSILE STRENGTH
TEST 7: COMPRESSION
TEST 8: ACID RESISTANCE
TEST 9: FLAME RESISTANCE
TEST 10: EXTREME TEMPERATURE
TEST 11: ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES
TEST 12: ELECTRICAL RESISTANCE
Months of development and testing were required to get these books just right, and they’d like to thank Yupo for their extensive support, as well as the great printers and ink technicians that pitched in to help.
Note: Synthetic paper is nonporous and doesn’t absorb ink like our conventional papers. Ballpoint pens, pencils, or fine tip Sharpies work best.
- 01. Proudly printed by the good people of Stromberg Allen & Company, Tinley Park, Ill.
- 02. Cover: Yupo tear-resistant synthetic 74#C “Bright White,” with thick, brute force applications of “Polar Circle Gray” and “Hi-Visibility Orange” soy-based Superior inks, coated with a clear protective varnish.
- 03. Innards: Yupo tear-resistant synthetic 57#T “White,” with a fine, 1-color application of “Cartographer’s Gray” soy-based Superior ink.
- 04. Cover and innards printed on a Man Roland 700 perfecting 40" 4-color press.
- 05. Bound by a Muller Martini “Bravo Plus” 4-pocket stream-fed saddle stitcher, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
- 06. Corners precisely rounded to a ⅜" (9.5mm) radius with a Consolidated 250 hydraulic die-cutting machine.
- 07. Dot-graph grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm).
- 08. Memo book dimensions are 3½" × 5½" (89mm × 140mm).
- 09. Field Notes uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- 10. ll Field Notes memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
- 11. UPC 858493003127